About the role
Working under direct supervision of Team Leader Building & Environmental Health / Senior Environmental Health Officer, the Graduate Environmental Health Officer will contribute to delivering a range of public health services that aim to protect and promote health, prevent the incidence of infectious diseases, safeguard the environment and enhance quality of life in the community.
Culture & Benefits
- Graduate Opportunity
- Working 2 days p/w
- 3 months with a possible extension!
- Eastern location
- Get paid weekly!
- Easily accessible to public transport
- 24-hour support on your assignments
- Plan and undertake regulatory inspections of premises relating to food, swimming pools, high risk manufactured water systems, hair and beauty, skin penetration, supported residential facilities (SRF's) and evaluate for compliance with legislative requirements.
- Provide reports regarding results of inspections, investigations or surveillance conducted.
- Initiate appropriate enforcement action in accordance with relevant legislation including Council's compliance policy.
- Receive, evaluate and report complaints pursuant to the Public Health Act, Food Act, Local Nuisance and Litter Control Act, Environment Protection Act and take appropriate action as required.
- Provide technical advice to the public, industry, other officers and Council on Environmental Health matters and exercise a high level of interpersonal skills.
- Appraise plans for food premises and developments for hygiene and sanitation standards.
- Monitor communicable disease through investigation and advice to relevant stakeholders.
- Monitor Council's immunisation program and assist the provider as appropriate to ensure service delivery is being carried out in accordance with contractual obligations.
- Support the team with administrative tasks including the creation and capture of corporate records.
- Comply with and ensure that defined information management practices, policies and principles are implemented within the workplace.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders where required to seek further advice on matters seeking to achieve positive outcomes
Skills and experience
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Environmental Health/Associate Diploma - Environmental Health Studies
- Eligible to become a member of Environmental Health Australia including meeting the minister's requirements for authorisation under the SA Public Health Act 2011
- Sound knowledge of all legislation and associated regulations and policies relevant to Environmental Health practice
- Ability to use a systematic and scientific approach to the solution of Environmental Health matters
- Strong problem-solving skills including the ability to identify all factors and devise appropriate solutions.
- Ability to effectively plan and manage time particularly with competing priorities
- A great listener, excellent interpersonal skills and able to manage conflict
- A proactive team member with the ability to work autonomously and within a small team
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, including report writing skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgement, clear logical thinking and the skillset to interpret and apply all aspects of relevant legislation
- Excellent time management skills and able to meet defined deadlines
- Drivers licence and your own vehicle
Apply now and find out more
To register your interest in this role, forward your current resume to email@example.com, via our website at www.daviesstewart.com/job-search, or via the link below, or call 08 8232 8008 for more information. Your confidential application will be acknowledged with an email from us explaining our process.